About Hilary

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far Hilary has created 2 blog entries.

Where We Are Now, by Hilary Halajko Chair of Trustees

Hilary demonstrating wind power

As time passes, it is already over two months since I wrote to clients that the season was suspended until further notice because of the coronavirus and its impact. Since then a lot has happened but none of it has involved sailing unfortunately.

The sailing season was due to commence with Inclusion Ventures at Easter and only a few days before I wrote to everyone, their staff visited Blue Mermaid at Downs Road as they had not all sailed with us before. At this stage we were busy fitting out, painting and pulling together the myriad of things needed to get the vessel to work. The stability data needed for the cargo load line was with the MCA, and the result awaited. The lifejackets and life rafts were collected from the Marine Safety Centre at Lowestoft and at the same time flares and first aid kits were updated.

Gradually it became apparent the world around us was changing. There was due to be a Shipshape Heritage Training Partnership meeting at Greenwich and people were starting to ask if it was wise to travel before the government told us we should not. It now seems likely the common sense of the great British public was already having a bearing on the spread of the virus before our toys were taken away from us and we were locked down. The meeting was cancelled and as legacy of the project was on the agenda, what it may be has become one of many casualties of the lockdown process.
(more…)

By |2020-06-02T16:18:39+01:00June 2nd, 2020|

News Update Via Maritime Heritage Trust

Richard recently penned a piece for the Maritime Heritage Trust about the effect the Covid-19 closedown has had on us:

The virus started to make an impression as we commenced fitting out in February and were joined by our new Shipshape Heritage Training Partnership trainee Ben and as the crew returned from the winter break. Initially it looked like we would be able to continue. Indeed, at a meeting of Trustees on 11th March we discussed plans for a full season and only discussed the virus in terms of ensuring our T&Cs were up to date.

Eight days later we were writing to clients telling them the season was suspended until further notice as … Read the whole piece here.

By |2020-05-04T09:21:36+01:00May 4th, 2020|